Saturday, September 6, 2014

September 6, 2014

Having now played at the ostensibly haunted Jewelbox Theater, I think I can say "haunted" = "has hummy old wiring." But maybe it is haunted, because not one but two kickdrum feet were lost without a trace. Good thing I always carry spares! In spite of the hum and the ghosts, the sound in that place is great and I urge you to check it out.

The listings were rich with appealing band names this week. I narrowed it down to these lucky five:

American Roulette
Just like Russian Roulette, but with a high-capacity magazine to -- um -- improve your chances.

Drains to Sound
I love these kind of "found names" that reorganize your understanding of simple words. Is it just coincidence that Seattle, a city with a lively music scene, is on the shores of a body of water called a sound? Makes it almost too easy to name a band, when you can just use something you found stenciled on the curb.

Element A440
Gotta like a technical music reference, especially when it sounds scientific.

Five Alarm Funk
As much as I appreciate northwest loser pride, I also love when a group has the confidence to own how hot they are.

Glaciers on the Moon
As a space travel and science fiction fan, I'm always on the lookout for space-related band names. I like this one because it sounds made-up on the face of it, but there very well might be water ice deep in some of the moon's craters. Our solar system is still full of surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment