Saturday, December 3, 2011

December 3, 2011

If I weren't going to a holiday party tonight (and if I had an extra $15 kicking around) I'd want to be at the Triple Door to hear The Tripwires and The Young Fresh Fellows! I won't get out to hear any of these bands, either, but I wish them well on the strength of names alone:

Green Pajamas
"Pajamas" evokes homey comfort and childlike sweetness, but "green" somehow gives it a weirder edge. I don't think I've ever had green pajamas, even though green is one of my favorite colors to wear. Now I want some.

Loathsome Couple
I've loved the word "loathsome" ever since Calvin asked Suzie Derkins to guess what he had in his hands and she asked, "Is it loathsome?"

Polkadot Cadaver
Grouped as it was with more sinister sounding bands, this one cracked me up. The polkadots make even a cadaver seem cheery and festive.

The Sound of Speed
I don't think I ever noticed before that the familiar phrase could be switched and still make sense. The sound of speed is probably "Whoosh!" or "Zoom!" but now I want to know, what is the light of speed?


Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin 
As noted previously, I'm a sucker for names that are a little too long for convenience. As a bonus, this one's even a complete sentence and includes a historical figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment