Saturday, December 10, 2011

December 10, 2011

I had the privilege to hear the James King Trio last night at University Temple United Methodist Church, playing kickass bluegrass gospel. The name is nothing special, but the music? Whew! Mandolin = lead guitar, banjo = bass, and all versions of rock, country, and blues boil down to one beautiful root.

The names I like this week:

The Aimlows
This one has great slacker cred. I like the celebration of low expectations.

Betty Ford Falcons
As I know I've admitted before, I have a soft spot for this kind of name that starts off it one direction and ends up somewhere else, in only three words. Plus, my sister-in-law used to own a late-'60s Ford Falcon Futura with a Detonators bumper sticker, so I have nostalgic fondness for the model.


Heterosapien
These guys should be playing with Hobosexual. Is it the same guys?!

Mansions on the Moon
 Nice. I'd settle for a spaceport, but hey, dream big! It's always a beautiful day on the moon . . .

Yamn
My hands-down favorite this week -- the final 'n' seals it. (We're having yams for dinner tonight).

No comments:

Post a Comment