Saturday, October 15, 2011

We spent about 4 hours at Reverb last Saturday afternoon, then popped back at 10 p.m. for one more band. We heard 6 groups, all winners. Two I've blogged about before, but only one I'd heard: Mutiny Fires, Shaprece, Stephanie (see below), Less Than Equals, Tom Price Desert Classic, and Curtains for You.

Life in a Blender
It feels that way sometimes, and that's when we need loud music the most.

McFiredrill
I'm not sure what this means but it's fun to say. (OK, I suppose it's actually MC Firedrill, but my way is funnier). Maybe this is the kind of fire drill where the alarm goes off and everybody goes and stands in the hall rather than taking the stairs all the way outside. Fast and easy but somehow unsatisfying.
 
Stephanie
I'm not sure I would have included this outfit had I not seen them at Reverb -- 5 very young guys, none of them likely to be named Stephanie. I imagine them sitting around one night after rehearsal -- "What are we gonna call our band, guys?" Thoughtful silence. A raised hand. "I've always liked the name . . . Stephanie." Done.

That 1 Guy
That One Show
These two really belong on the same bill. They both take a fragment of the inexact way we talk and, by making it a name, turn it into something specific.

No comments:

Post a Comment