Saturday, October 29, 2011

October 29, 2011

This is my 52nd weekly post -- a whole year of Square Pig in a Round Hole. Lots of Halloween-themed shows this weekend, but we got such a good dose of loud music last week at the Mudhoney show that we're going to the opera, instead. Only two of my picks seems at all Halloween related, but here they are:

Aaiiee
When I was a kid, we had a Spanish-language Peanuts book. Where in English Charlie Brown would yell, "Aauugh!" in Spanish, he'd yell, "Aaiiee!" So maybe this is more of a Dia de los Muertos thing than a Halloween thing. Regardless, I love the repeated vowels.

Gringo Star
This one got the biggest laugh from the resident panel. It doesn't look like much on the page, but speak it aloud -- perfect.
 

Imaginary Daughter
One of my favorite fictional characters, Thursday Next, has a daughter who exists only in her imagination. I saw this and immediately thought of Jenny.

Koffin Kats
It's the Ks. Respelling "coffin" takes the sting out of it, and cats make everything better.

The Peculiar Pretzelmen 
This is either an obscure Victorian science fiction title or one of my kid's Blood Bowl teams. I  like it either way. How could pretzelmen be anything but peculiar? 

No comments:

Post a Comment