Saturday, July 2, 2011

July 2, 2011

A new month, a beautiful day, a holiday weekend -- what's not to like? Get out and hear some music!

Electrik Emily
Klondike Kate
These two follow the same naming formula and are on the same bill, so I'll talk about them together. You can hardly go wrong with adjective-person's name, especially if both begin with the same letter and/or sound. It doesn't hurt that Klondike Kate sounds like a gold-rush character (local flavor). That double-k sound in Electrik makes these two go together even better.

Pouch
I've been hearing about these guys and liked the name from the start. Pouch is one of those words that's fun and funny to say. (I'm planning to go hear them at EMP today, so it seemed like a good time to drop them into the blog.) I hope to see more bands named for hand luggage.


Slothpop
I don't always name favorites, but this is my favorite name of the week. It jumped out of the listings and made me laugh out loud. It sounds like a great genre for summer -- kind of slow and lazy. Or else a quiescently frozen confection with the strangest flavor . . .

Titanium Sporkestra
Spork is always funny, a titanium spork would be absurd, and the wordplay takes it over the top and onto the blog. I understand this is a marching band, which makes it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment