Saturday, July 9, 2011

July 9, 2011

I had the privilege last Thursday to be present at Carrie Akre's farewell show at the Crocodile. The second half of her set was a Goodness reunion. Now, I pretty much missed the '90s -- that was my working-mother-of-small-children decade -- so all the music was new to me. This kick-ass outfit blew me away, as did opening act Star Anna and the Laughing Dogs; they are the real deal and I expect to hear great things from them for years to come. Good luck in Minneapolis, Carrie. Don't be a stranger, and thanks for a great party.

Gimmie a Pigfoot
On the face of it, this is just a bar order -- for a pickled pork item, or perhaps for some drink I don't want to contemplate. But the spelling of "Gimmie" hints that it could be a name, further modified by the one-word "Pigfoot." Is that anything like a cowhand? Or a bigfoot?


Huge Spacebird
Points for goofiness and SF themes.


Smoking Popes 
Change one letter and you change everything! And it trips off the tongue.


Socrates and the Lava Gods
I love the idea of Socrates as an adventure hero.


The Whole Bolivian Army
I can't believe I didn't do this one already, but a quick check did not turn it up. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was one of the first non-kids' movies I ever saw, when I was 7. I don't think I had even heard of Bolivia at the time, let alone the whole Bolivian army. Picturing that scene now, I don't know how they're all going to fit on the stage . . .

1 comment: