Saturday, April 23, 2011

April 23, 2011

It's finally a beautiful spring day and I want to get outside, so I'll try to keep things brief. Quiz question: If Man Without Wax and Wax played on the same bill, would they cancel each other out?

Church for Sinners
To which I have to say, is there any other kind? They're playing Easter night at the Skylark -- I can't think of anything more fitting.

Endeverance
I just watched a movie featuring a British man-of-war called Endeavour (also the name of a space shuttle) and I'm writing a book featuring a spaceship called Endurance (from Shackleton's famous lost ship), so this one jumped out at me. The neologism evokes an admirable but peculiarly square kind of ethic for a rock band.

Mannequin BBQ
People Eating People
These two were on the same bill, a match made in horror-movie heaven.

Western Hymn
Another appropriate-for-Holy-Week offering. "Western Hymn" is a beautiful old tune that I only recently learned, when my resident composer used it in a piece. We found it in The Old School Hymnal #9 as the tune for the -- ahem -- uncomfortable hymn that begins, "There is a fountain filled with blood drawn from Emmanuel's veins," which does not get much play in the progressive churches I frequent, but has something kind of punk about it. (I think I would be willing to sing the outdated words, just to have a chance at the tune.)

No comments:

Post a Comment