Saturday, April 2, 2011

April 2, 2011

I'm glad I'm doing this today and not yesterday, because I'm no good at April Fool's pranks. Before I begin this week's list, a shout-out to Operation ID, playing at the Tractor tonight. These guys are a jazzy rock combo, or a rockin' jazz combo, with chops and energy to burn!

DJ Leopold Bloom
This is so beautiful, I can't believe I'm seeing it for the first time. I love it when literature insinuates itself into pop culture. I hope he has a gig on June 16.

Dodos
Funny and tragic at the same time, the goofy-looking extinct bird with the comic name. Because of the pet dodo in Jasper Fforde's wonderful Thursday Next series, I'd like to see this band in the same lineup with previous winner Pickwick.


The Horse She Rode in On
This one's nice because it sounds like the end of an insult or joke, and you missed the part that makes it make sense. I'm also a sucker for band names that are a little too long, though with it being all monosyllables, it's shorter than it looks.

The Slags
I like the word slag. It just sounds punk. I hope they are.

William Shatner Mouth
You know by the name, they don't take themselves seriously. Of course I feel compelled to support the indirect sci-fi reference. (I can't find a website or myspace for this one, so no link. Sorry!)

No comments:

Post a Comment