Saturday, October 24, 2015

October 24, 2015

Next Saturday is Halloween, which means the coming week's club listings are stuffed like a trick-or-treat bag with spooky-themed shows. Today, I'm purposely avoiding any band names with ghost, witch, or blood in them, but I might change my mind next Saturday. I selected the following treats, instead:

Caddywhompus
I love colloquialisms, and this is one of my favorites. So much more fun to say than "not quite right," its syllables and thumping consonants have a nice beat.


Mrch
They say it's pronounced "march," so that's a fairly economical spelling. My first thought was "merch," which is funny because that's already short for something. Either is suitable for a gig: it's a beat, or it's T-shirts and records.


PORCH
I'm a fan both of singular monosyllabic nouns as band names, and also of porches. Porch season is over for another year, but it's a great place to make music on a warm summer night. Also, somebody get these guys on a bill with Square Pig faves Pouch!

Tygerrs Lair
Wyldernesse 
How is it these two are not on the same bill? Not only do they both use beautiful Middle-Englishy spelling, but where would that lair be but in the wyldernesse? (This might be why: Tygerrs Lair is metal, while Wyldernesse is acoustic folk. Still . . .)

No comments:

Post a Comment