Saturday, October 17, 2015

October 17, 2015

Vacation is winding down now, the highlight being last night's show at the Highline, with Salad Boys, Prom Queen, Ephrata, and longtime faves Red Ribbon. One of the best reasons to go hear a favorite band is the opportunity to hear two or three others that you haven't heard (or heard of) before. There was not a dud in the bunch! I can't stay out till 2 a.m. more than once in a great while, though, so much as I love the following names, they'll have to carry on without me.

Bears and Other Carnivores
Apparently I'm not the only one to notice that titles of field guides make great band names. (I would love to see a band called Squirrels of the West.) There's something a little (endearingly) off about using a name that evokes the outdoors, nature, and wilderness for a group that's probably going to mostly play in dingy urban bars. Also, I had a drink called "Bear" last night, and the interior of the Highline is like a lodge in a national park.

Isthmusia
Take a word that's awkward to sound out and transform it with two letters into a fantasy realm.

My Name Is You
Them Are Us Too
These both fall into a naming genre I call Pronoun Trouble. Both also imply, in a playful, goofy way, that we are all one. We're all in this together. Let's not screw it up.

Sardine Overdo
(I couldn't find any web presence for this band, so they must be new. The club listings had "overdose" but the event page and flyer both had "overdo," so I'm going with that.) Prelude to the best cat nap and worst morning breath ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment