Saturday, March 7, 2015

March 7, 2015

 Square Pig faves Acapulco Lips, Pouch, and Power Skeleton are all playing tonight (not together, but wouldn't that be a killer lineup?) but I'm missing it all for the opera. All I can say is, Handel better be worth it. Meanwhile, here's five new favorites:

Field Mouse
I am reminded of my mom. House mice freaked her out, but she thought the outdoor variety (she called them meadow mice) were cute. There was even a poster of one on the fridge. But if a cat brought one indoors, forget it.

Flyleaf
Literary in a literal and very particular way.

Little Fixtures
Maybe it's my diminutive size, but I'm drawn to names with "little" in them. I like how in this case, it's paired with something solid and permanent. There's also the added attraction of a neat little off-rhyme.

The Shaken Growlers
I can easily believe this name grew out of an unfortunate incident bringing beer home from the bottle shop. Promises an exuberant, messy time.

Toyboat Toyboat Toyboat
I have to respect a band that chose a name most people can't say fast, even sober. (These guys actually are on the same bill with Power Skeleton tonight.)

My fiction and blogging projects collide in "St. Rage,"  the 13th release in the Pankhearst Singles Club. This story of an all-girl teenage garage band with superpowers is short, it's funny, and it's only $ .99. If you like "St. Rage," please like St. Rage on Facebook and go listen to their first demo, "Huge Guy in the Mosh Pit."

I play drums in a band called Your Mother Should Know. Our album Rocks and Glass is available now on Bandcamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment