Saturday, January 10, 2015

January 10, 2015

I'm having a really good year so far; I don't know what the rest of the months are going to do to follow January! The hard work of 2014 pays off now, with the release of Rocks and Glass, the first album by Your Mother Should Know. See below for details on our epic album release show on January 23!

Meanwhile, the bar bands keep providing abundant blog fodder. This week's picks:

420 Blackbirds
I picked this one because it looked like a weed joke being actually a little bit subtle and clever, with a serendipitous literary reference. Seeing that the official name is 4&20 Blackbirds, I'm not sure that's what they meant, but it got my attention.

Car Seat Headrest
Naming a band for a prosaic, unsexy object shines a spotlight on the mundane and brings it some glory. I'm also old enough to remember when car seats didn't have headrests, so there's a little nostalgia factor. I also like how this one thing has a name that's a list of three nouns (four, if you break up "head" and "rest").

Knife Pleats
The seamstress in me picked this one. The most brutal fashion detail!
 
Snow Day
I think I like this partly because snow days are so rare in Seattle, and therefore even more beloved (by schoolkids if not their parents). This winter doesn't look promising so far, but it's a long way from over.

Three Chord Killer 
So that's why they call it an axe . . .


My fiction and blogging projects collide in "St. Rage," now available as the 13th release in the Pankhearst Singles Club. This story of an all-girl teenage garage band with superpowers is short, it's funny, and it's only $ .99. If you like "St. Rage," please like St. Rage on Facebook and go listen to their first demo.

UPCOMING: Your Mother Should Know album release show, with Tom Price Desert Classic, Can You Imagine?, and Dead Bars  Friday, January 23 at the Highline Bar. I'd want to go to this show even if I wasn't playing! https://www.facebook.com/events/374070109426331/
Get the record:  https://yourmothershouldknow2.bandcamp.com/album/rocks-and-glass

No comments:

Post a Comment