Saturday, December 27, 2014

December 27, 2014

I'm pleased to announce that on New Year's Day, my blogging and fiction-writing lives will intersect in an exciting way. My first published story ("Hat" in the YA collection Heathers) ended with the teenage protagonist going off to start a band. Several months later, I saw a sign with a burned-out letter. "That's a band name I would blog about," I thought. I decided to give it to my fictional teenager, and she ran with it. The resulting story, "St. Rage," is now available for pre-order and will be published on January 1, 2015 as the 13th release in the Pankhearst Singles Club. It's short, it's funny, and it's only $ .99. If you like "St. Rage," please like St. Rage on Facebook and go listen to their first demo.

Meanwhile, a lot of nonfictional bands have shows coming up this week. Here are the five that caught my eye:



Cat Among Pigeons
Classic outsider scenario with so many possible outcomes. Cat bides her time, blending in and winning the pigeons' trust, then begins to pick them off one by one; they never figure it out. Or: Cat goes crazy trying to chase all the pigeons at once, and never catches even one. Or: the pigeons lull the cat into a false sense of security, then descend en masse.

Cephalopod
I like the word and I like the animals. An octopus is like a writer: clever, solitary, makes its escape in a cloud of ink. Most appropriately, they're playing at the SeaMonster Lounge.


It Gets Worse
A simple and obvious play on the It Gets Better campaign, but so punk and so often true.


The Knowmads
Fun with our crazy English spelling. Wandering in a cognitive wilderness.


ZZ Top's Drummer's Drum Machine's Manager's Band
It gives me great pleasure to close out 2014 with something so gleefully over the top and simultaneously so depressingly downwardly spiraling.  

UPCOMING: Your Mother Should Know album release show, with Tom Price Desert Classic, Can You Imagine?, and Dead Bars  Friday, January 23 at the Highline Bar. I'd want to go to this show even if I wasn't playing! https://www.facebook.com/events/374070109426331/

No comments:

Post a Comment