Saturday, December 13, 2014

December 13, 2014

In addition to blogging about band names, I write a lot of long and short fiction. I don't trust poetry and only write it when I have to, so it's a little weird to announce that I am now a published poet.  My little effort "Popcorn" appears in the first Pankhearst Slim Volume, No Love Lost, now available in paperback here: getbook.at/nll

With that shameless plug out of the way, let's get down to the business at hand:

Connie and the Precious Moments
The surviving mug.
I'm a perennial fan of the classic X and the Y structure, especially when there's some clever twist to one or both parts. Nothing could be further from rock and roll than sentimental figurines. I have my own fraught relationship with Precious Moments, having received a set of four PM mugs as a wedding gift. We were not particularly sorry when some of them broke, but after 28 years, one remains and may outlive us all.



Good Luck Thrift Store Outfit
I like how this starts out as a random collection of not-obviously-related words, and then comes together in the end, much like an outfit assembled at Value Village. I have a few of these.

My Body Sings Electric
The old lit major in me is tickled by the connection of rock music to Whitman.

Sepiatonic
This makes a neat turn from old-timey Americana to a slick modern -- dare I say (1960s) futuristic -- vibe. 

South Kitsap Infidels  
Local flavor! There's a nice disconnect in the very specific locale modifying a noun seemingly from a whole other world.  

UPCOMING: Your Mother Should Know CD release show, with Tom Price Desert Classic, Can You Imagine?, and Dead Bars  Friday, January 23 at the Highline Bar. I'd want to go to this show even if I wasn't playing! https://www.facebook.com/events/374070109426331/

No comments:

Post a Comment