Saturday, February 20, 2016

February 20, 2016

Rather than give anything up for Lent, I decided to do something active and submit work to my friends' various literary projects. One poem, one flash fiction, and two short stories down; at least two more poems to go. Feels like a good discipline before starting another novel. Meanwhile, this blog is another good discipline: every week I get to think about band names and why I love them.

Coeur de Pirate
For reasons unknown, the mascot of my inland high-desert high school was the Pirates. It doesn't make sense, but some part of me will always be a pirate at heart. This also makes me think of a friend who is writing a book of pirate poems and had a pirate-themed wedding last Halloween. Now there's someone with the heart of a pirate! This one's for Kate.

Loudsole
Foot-stompin' music is good for that other kind of soul.

Nothing Sounds Good
I like the multiple meanings: 1) there is no good sound; 2) even absence is music; 3) everything on the menu is what I don't want; 4) I prefer the void. And probably a few more besides.


Phono Paradiso
Could be the flip side of Nothing Sounds Good, where all sounds are blessed. A sound garden, as it were. Hmmm.

Sewer Troll 
Urban trolls have it figured out. They never have to risk coming out in daylight. They can lurk in the sewers and only appear on the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment