Saturday, February 22, 2014

February 22, 2014

I'm starting a movement: Keep Snow in the Mountains Where It Belongs! After a brief, rebellious flurry this morning, the weather seems to be listening. Because we don't want people stuck indoors when they could go out to hear:

Aufblasbar Frau
Translate silly things into German and they sound serious . . . or silly in a whole different way. (I had to look it up. It means "Inflatable Woman.")

Breaks and Swells
In our maritime region, how many words are there for waves? These are also musical terms, or they could refer to the kind of injuries you might sustain in a mosh pit. Then again, swells might be hipsters catching a break. Well played, friends.

P:E-O/P;L,E 
Last week I asked for more punctuation, and look what I get! Gee, I wish there was more money in blogging about band names . . .

Wynne C. Blue and Her Troublefakers
The fun you can have by changing one letter! Is this anything like crying wolf?

Yes Bear
And then sometimes a name comes along that gets in for reasons of pure personal nostalgia. An extremely long time ago, when I was a child, we lived out in the sticks, and we took our bulky, unburnable trash to the dump. The dump was a place where you could poke around and sometimes find treasures. When I was about 5, my older sister adopted a stuffed panda from the dump. She named it Yes Bear and it could say only one word: Yes. It was unbelievably annoying, even (or especially) to a little sister, and it hung around for years. (As a side note, at this time I had a much more dump-worthy stuffed animal that I had inherited from our older brother. It had neither ears nor eyes nor tail, but they told me it was a rabbit. Its multisyllabic unspellable nonsense name would have made a great band name, if only I could remember it.) Thanks for the memories, Yes Bear.
The rabbit, on right, before it was dump-worthy

Me and the Yes Bear

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention - my Troublefakers are the best at rock unshenanigans around!

    ReplyDelete