Saturday, January 28, 2012

January 28, 2012

Your Mother Should Know, the band for which I am drummer and sometime backup vocalist, has been working hard to prepare an unplugged set that will be part of a benefit concert at Prospect Congregational United Church of Christ, Saturday, February 4 at 7:00 p.m. Donations will help pay for the new stove, which is used to prepare daily lunch for a lot of very deserving preschoolers. Meanwhile, it's fun and educational to learn our songs in new arrangements.

These band names caught my eye this week:

Bonfire So-So
I assume this is a reference to Campfire OK, a past honoree in this blog. I'm a big fan of band names inspired by other band names. I also like this one on its own merits, because of the disconnect. How could anything as extravagant as a bonfire be only so-so?

Fake Shark Real Zombie
I saw Jaws when I was 11, only to discover too late that I was one of those younger children for whom the movie was too intense. When I finally saw it again as an adult, I laughed because the shark was so obviously fake. In the campy monster movie with the same name as this band, I would then turn around to confront a real zombie and either die of fright or somehow remove its head.

Jakalope
I always enjoyed seeing stuffed jackalopes in gift shops in Montana. That's how you knew you'd left our time zone.

Nucular Aminals
One of the resident gamers is playing a game set near Chernobyl, so this is timely. Spelling out the  mispronunciation gives it a nice Cold-War edge.

Really Old Airplanes
It sounds like the answer to a question, anything from: "What did you see on your trip?" to "What do you collect?" Are they a waste of time or what makes life worth living?

No comments:

Post a Comment