Saturday, November 7, 2015

November 7, 2015

I'm writing a novel featuring an all-girl teenage garage band. It started out as a repository for the band names (including the title band, St. Rage) and song titles (such as "Half a Bus Closer to Home" and "Huge Guy in the Mosh Pit") that come to me all too easily but would otherwise never get used. Then I decided to try writing the songs. I get better results with a fictional songwriter than if I tried to write them as me! Since I still don't have the knack for coming up with tunes, it takes two of us to actually finish writing the songs. (Shout out to my brother & bandmate Neal and Your Mother Should Know for making this a reality!) This means I get to say things like, "I wrote this song but I don't know how it goes." That situation usually doesn't last long.We're still working on how to get this fictional band out in public.

These, as far as I know, are not fictional:

As It Is
It's hard to go wrong with a short phrase about the state of reality. Not a wasted letter or syllable, either.

Gothsicles
I love how the dark and gloomy opening is undercut by the cheery allusion to quiescently frozen confections.

Here We Go Magic
I like the sense of immediacy and excitement. Whether it's stage magic or the real thing, we're wasting no time getting to the good part.

SLOW slow LORIS
The even slower subspecies; kind of like the lesser least weasel.

Wall of Ears 
Perfect for listening to a wall of sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment