Sunday, May 31, 2015

May 31, 2015

My spouse and I went out to a different kind of show last night -- a handbell concert by Emerald City Ringers at University Temple United Methodist Church (with guests Joyful Noise of UTUMC and the 5th grade handbell choirs from Bryant and Sacajawea Elementary Schools)*. In one of those There's Something You Don't See Every Day moments, ECR played "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and played it well. Those 5th graders were moshing in the pews. You just never know, especially in Seattle.

Out there in bar-band land, the great names just keep coming:

36 Crazyfists
This is either a super-secret martial arts move, or a brawl with eighteen participants swinging at anything that moves.

Death Hymn Number 9
A dark twist on hymnals and hymn singing, both of which are close to my heart. I actually own a copy of something called "Old School Hymnal #9." I'm not sure whether it includes any death hymns, but you never know.
 
Ecstatic Cosmic Union
The proverbial match made in heaven, and a nice balance to the previous band name.

Toothgrinder
A dental problem that happens to sound really metal and also kind of silly at the same time.

Wood Knot
I'm a sucker for a good pun, especially one that doesn't reveal itself until spoken aloud.

*Full disclosure: my spouse and I are members of UTUMC, parents of two Sacajawea alumni, and sat in on percussion for one of ECR's pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment