Saturday, July 12, 2014

July 12, 2014

I make a point of not complaining about the weather, but I will admit that I don't sleep (or think) well when it's hot. If this blog post makes even less sense than usual, I blame the weather. If you can't sleep, either, this is a good excuse to stay up late and embrace the sweaty club vibe.

The Aquabats
This made-up word is taking me in so many directions, which I love. Synchronised swimmers doing gymnastic tricks? Marine mammals using sonar to hunt their prey? (Wait, that's dolphins). But I can't help thinking this is somehow baseball related.

A Cryptic Ending
That moment when you close the book or leave the theater or turn off the record, and you don't know what just happened . . . but you want to go back to the beginning and do it all again.

Friends Like Enemies
Here we have fun with a word that can be a verb or a comparative, which allows very different meanings out of three common words. Do they like them, or are they like them -- and which is better/worse?


Grace Love and the Haters
I'm a perennial fan of the classic X and the Y naming structure. This takes it further by building a name out of virtues and pairing it with their opposite, setting up an interesting tension. Will hate overcome grace and love, or will grace and love redeem hate?
  
Omnia Mutantor
Wikipedia tells me omnia mutantur is Latin for "everything changes." Google Translate somehow came up with "everything tastes." I'm not sure what this variation is meant to mean, but I like my first uneducated guess: "All the mutants."

No comments:

Post a Comment