Saturday, November 20, 2010

November 20, 2010

Difficult to narrow the choices to just five!

Cootie Platoon
This band combines the juvenile "cootie" with the deadly serious "platoon" in a goofy juxtaposition that includes the wonderful assonance of two double o's. Fun to say, hilarious to picture.

Freelance Whales and Miniature Tigers
I couldn't choose between these two, so I decided to honor the lineup, which is made only more perfect by the venue, The Crocodile. I like the combination of wild animal with incongruous adjective.

Howlin' Houndog and the Infamous Loosers
I'm partial to the old-fashioned "and the" construction, especially when one or both parts are creatively spelled/misspelled. Now that I've sneaked a peek at a description of the music, I like it even more. Anyone who mashes together the Sonics, Captain Beefheart, and the Velvet Underground as influences gets my vote.

Out Like Pluto
I like Pluto. I'm sorry it got demoted from the planet club. On the other hand, it's so far out, maybe it doesn't want to be in our lame club.


"The Story" Guy and His Band
This is sweet. It's not even so  much a name as a description: an unnamed "story guy" -- what story? what guy? -- and his unnamed band. The artless naivete wins me over. And the secrecy -- they don't seem to have a website.

No comments:

Post a Comment