Monday, July 21, 2014

July 21, 2014

After a weekend away, I'm catching up because band names never sleep!

Animals in Cars
There were almost enough bands with "animal" in the name to do a themed blog this week: this one plus Animals, Lazy Animals, and Service Animal. Animals in Cars makes it in because I can take it so many ways: exuberantly fun -- the dog I saw with his head out the window, ears flapping in the breeze; comic and fantastical -- cartoon animals driving cars; or poignant and sad -- a dog left alone in a hot or freezing car (please don't).

How to Win at Battleship
I like band names that sound like self-help titles, especially for things that can't be guaranteed. I've played enough Battleship to know that the surest way to win is to play someone who is worse at the game, but then that feels kind of mean. Oh, wait! It's war! So the only way to win is not to play.

Mimicking Birds
Are we mimicking the birds, or do they mimic us? I like how the meaning is equally plausible either way without more context. (Last night I asked my resident illustrator to draw the Least Plausible, the Greater Plausible, and the Short-Billed Plausible. Possibly mimicking birds and certainly good band names. Alas, he declined).

Risky Liver
More fun with language, where the noun form of a verb might have an unfortunate resemblance to an internal organ that suffers from a risky life.

Terman Shanks
And yet more fun, this time with a simple swap that turns an armored vehicle into a plausible hillbilly name.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment