Saturday, October 12, 2013

October 12, 2013

On vacation one day and I've already been to a fabulous show! Big thanks to the Skylark and all the bands -- Dead Bars, Bigfoot Wallace and His Wicked Sons, and Charms -- for a fun night out for our anniversary. And the names are good, too. They're in good company this week:

Bigfoot Wallace and His Wicked Sons
This one gets in for a whole bunch of reasons: classic [proper noun] and [possessive pronoun] [noun] form, accessorized with strong adjectives and nice syllabic rhythm; long but not too long; eye/ear-catching and humorous without being silly; and as a bonus, the form of the name suits the punk-blues style of the music.

Dead Bars
I'm surprised I haven't included this one already, though I have referenced them a couple times. I actually know the story behind the name, which grew out of drinking in bars where there was no energy or excitement, nothing going on but drinking and thinking. If these guys are playing, the venue is automatically not a dead bar anymore.

The Debaucherantes
At the coming-out after-party.

Heaven's Basement
This is, of course, where we live. No wonder there's so much weird stuff around.

Monogamy Party
Either this is what we were at at the Skylark last night, or it's what I've been a card-carrying member of for the last 27 years.  I'm all for it either way.


No comments:

Post a Comment